The big news for spring in a store near you is going to be COLOR. And just in case you were inclined to miss the point, the women at this year’s Oscars won’t let you forget. They brought out every color of the Crayola box, which was refreshing to see. What wasn’t so refreshing, was that the designers and the stars seemed to forget that the color of the fabric alone does not make for a beautiful dress. You still need good design. We saw many awkward interpretations of dresses but very few beautifully designed and flattering dresses.
Slideshow: Oscars Red Carpet
Did none of the Hollywood stylists see the Versace couture show? It was a master class in dressmaking, or more appropriately, gown making, and quite frankly none of the dresses last nite were of that superb caliber.Do yourself a favor and go to style.com and see for yourself what you should have seen last nite.
Okay, enough complaining. Here’s the good news:
THE BEST DRESSED WOMEN
1. Katherine Heigl. She wore the red dress the best. It had just enough detail to make her shine with out overpowering her — note to Anne Hathaway and Heidi Klum.
2. Jessica Alba. OH, momma!.
3. Hilary Swank. Yes it was black, but it was the best black dress — by far.
4. Cameron Diaz. She spent all of last year on my worst dressed list. What an improvement!
5. Keisha Whitaker. WHO? That would be Forest Whitaker’s wife, who put the major stars to shame (as she did last year as well)
THE BEST DRESSED MEN
1. George Clooney. In a category all his own. Guys, pay attention.
2. Josh Brolin
3. Patrick Dempsey
THE WORST DRESSED WOMEN
There were sooo many to choose from, it made my head spin.
1. Marion Cotillard. Given that she wore a stunning Nina Ricci gown to the SAG awards, I was expecting great things from her.
This hyper designed Gaultier mermaid body stocking wasn’t it. She looked silly. Compare her to Cameron Diaz, and the point is easily made.
2. Tilda Swinton. Morticia Adams was having a garage sale? Apparently so.
3. Nicole Kidman. I thought it was her husband who had the substance abuse problem not her stylist.
4. Ellen Paige. “Sweetie, you’re young and pretty, so why are you dressing for the biggest nite of your life as if you were a middle aged doctor’s wife at Lutheran General Hospital’s gala in Park Ridge?”
5. Cate Blanchett. BCBG was having a sale at its factory outlet? Apparently so.
THE WORST DRESED MEN
1. Javier Bardem. “Sweetie, you’re young………”
2. Ryan Seacrest. And you thought Johnny Cash was dead……
3. Johnny Depp. Doctors in Park Ridge are now apparently very fashionable…..